Sunday, December 18, 2011

LIFE is a RIDE – RIDE 17:

All Blank !!!!!!!!!! I sat dumbfounded! I had no clue why he has left blank. I struggled to
come to a solution, but I couldn‘t work out any. Ok Preethi!! It‘s all over. This is a
broken pot. It can‘t be mended back. So chill out, and move….my mind instructed me.
Days rolled on. We were back to form. We rocked the college, as the grand
seniors…right from gossiping, chatting, ragging, topping the academics, constant fights
with Ganesh and team etc etc …Our management made another amazing arrangement
for the Convocation. I expected to see Vikram again. But both Vikram and Shiva missed
the Convocation.
Days moved on rapidly, we completed our dissertation. Our College Life came to closure
with flying colors. The four years made me to experience all kinds of
emotions…….happiness, sadness, joy, laughter, shyness, fear, anger, frustration,
betrayal, the joy of friendship, the joy of togetherness, the joy of being admired,
loneliness…..name it….and I would have experienced it……
Now and then I used to think about Vikram, but that again became a closed chapter in
my life. I did not take any steps to contact him and the same from Vikram‘s side as
well.
Later I met Madhav in a shopping mall and he informed me that Vikram is in US
pursuing his MS and Shiva is in Australia pursuing MBA. I felt happy for them.
Fortunately, I got placed in one of the reputed Service Industry organization and I got
posted to PUNE. Anu got married immediately and Thivya and Priya worked as lecturer
in a college. I moved to Pune. A place to die for its climate and beauty. I stayed in a decent PG in Hinjewadi. I enjoyed my training, I got addicted to the lavish life style
that IT granted me at the very early stage of my life.
Days moved on. Thivya and Priya got married. Anu gave birth to a beautiful baby boy.
It‘s already 3 years gone. My mom started to pester me for wedding. I gave a narrow
escape every time she showed me some guy‘s photo. I received wedding invitations from
most of the girls and some boys from my class. May be I was the only eligible spinster
from my department.
Orkut and Facebook became my life. My manager informed me, that my H1B will be
processed. I was glad. But it took months to get processed, before my mom
sentimentally attacked me to get married…
Preethi!!! Preethi!!!! My mom gave a hard hit on my shoulder! I got up with a shock and a
sharp head ache. Oops!!! Oh My God!!! It was 4 ‗o clock!
My mom screamed! Get Up Preethi!
The Groom‘s family will be in an hour! You haven‘t still taken bath! I gave a nod to my
mom !I kept wondering , as I headed to the wash room ,with my college uniform in my
hand, how the 7 years of my life took a ride in my mind within 3 hours.
I got dressed within some half an hour. It‘s a simple make up with a BIBA Kurthi , ‗W‘
Patiala , ‗FAB India‘ Dupatta and a high heels from MOCHI. Already I have
straightened my hair, so a simple straight comb.
My mom yelled at me, Preethi!
Why don‘t you wear a saree!
I gave a cold reply. Mom……. this is just a visit. I don‘t have to dress up so much. I have
to see the guy face to face. I will be able to confirm only after that. My mom scolded
me and moved in. My dad gave a pat on my shoulder and moved on.
Sharp 5.00 PM, a Honda City screeched in front of our gate. I gave a casual smile to
the family. Rahul, a pretty decent guy, handsome gave a bright smile at me .I smiled
back and gave a firm handshake to him .We all seated ourselves comfortably, and our
parents shared some well wishes, laughs and chats. My mom served the snacks and Tea.
Rahul, enquired whether he can talk to me for few minutes. Our parents gladly showed
the way.
The initial talk was completely on which platform you work, who is your client, Office
timings, onsite offers. I always gave a sharp and short reply. So Rahul really struggled
to continue the conversation with me.

The day came to a closure. I have never seen my mom and dad filled with so much of
glow, excitement and happiness.
I closed my room and took my laptop. I gave a blank look at my college photographs,
which I have scanned and uploaded and always maintained it as my treasure.
It was around 1.30 AM..Mid night…..I kept admiring Vikram in all the photographs….and
whispered….Vikram …You know what……I am getting married!!!
---*****-----
The same time…8800 miles away …….at Los Angeles , California…..Vikram suddenly felt a
hitch in his mind, a sudden shut down of mood and a heavy burden.
He couldn‘t proceed with his work anymore. It was already 1.00 PM. He pressed ALT +
CNTRL+ DEL on his key board and gave a smile looking at his background pic in the
screen. …….‖ Preethi kept smiling near a bunch of roses with the Ooty botanical garden
at the back ground‖……..
---***-----
The next day, it was already 11.30 AM when I woke up; my mom and dad were eagerly
waiting for my door to open. I gave a drowsy Good Morning to my mom and seated on
the cushion.
Impatiently, my mom enquired! So what have you decided Preethi!........
I gave a deep breath!....Mom….Give me some space…….to breath…….I haven‘t decided
yet…….
Shocked, my mom replied back….What is this Preethi!!!!Girls of your age are preparing
for their second child, but you haven‘t even chosen the groom yet. Every time you say
some or the other reason. Already my health is getting worse day by day and you are
least bothered about that.
Mom!! Please understand my situation! I will talk to Rahul today! I got a call from my
manager stating that my US Visa is processed. I will be travelling to Detroit soon. It‘s
my life time dream mom. I can‘t miss this, just for the sake of marriage. I will come
back and get married. Till then I don‘t want to get into any commitment. If I get
married, travelling to onsite will become a dream. Please mom…help me to achieve my
aspiration. I have always dreamt of travelling to US. Even you know that. Now I don‘t
want to lose this opportunity.
My Mom shouted!!! No Preethi!!! You are not going anywhere, unless you get married!

I shouted back, then fine mom! I don‘t like this guy! Look for some other Guy!
What? My mom sat startled? What are you talking?
No Preethi !
You will be engaged to this guy! No matter what?
I have no clue what you have in your mind?
But this is our last say?
Anything against this, then you have to forget us! It‘s up to you to
decide!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment